Thursday, June 21, 2012

"My Cousin Vinnie" Panini Sandwich




Yesterday, I dropped by the Saddle Brook Diner on Market Street in Saddle Brook, New Jersey. Usually, the Greek host greets me with a smile that shows he recognizes me and says something friendly in his charming accent. This time, it was a lady who led me to my table for one in the rear.

 The retro atmosphere in the diner is fun. "Navy Blue" by Diane Renay pumped through the sound system as I sat at my table and reviewed the menu. Just behind me, a teddy bear in Harley gear rode a bright red tricycle. Black and white photos of the Rat Pack grace the walls in the opposite corner. As I entered this room, I passed under a curious mural that shows stars like Marilyn Monroe, Elvis and James Dean in blurry form, as if they were there in spirit.

The lunch and dinner specials change daily, and I'm surprised by how exhaustive the menu is. I played "Eenie Meenie Miney Mo" with four selections before finally choosing the "My Cousin Vinnie" panini. I do remember watching the movie by that title some time ago and finding it amusing. Today, I'd have to watch it again to remind myself of the plot. The panini, however, did have a wonderful combination of Italian flavors as suggested by its creative name.

 It featured mozzarella cheese, broccoli rabe, roasted garlic, juicy slices of Italian sausage and pieces of roasted red pepper. I understood the pepper at first to be red pepper flakes, maybe because of a reference in the menu to "sprinkling." The broccoli rabe made it too difficult to pick up and eat. It was more of a knife and fork sandwich. The slight bitterness of the broccoli rabe is wonderfully combined with the savory sausage and cheese and mild sweetness of the roasted garlic.

The lunch special came with a soup or salad option and a dessert option of Jell-O, pudding or ice cream. In spite of the nearly 100 degree weather, I chose the matzoh ball soup. I love how one matzoh ball just about occupies all available space in the cup and is soaked up with the broth flavor. A small cup of chocolate ice cream was a smart choice concerning the weather to end my meal. My sandwich was also accompanied by fries, the skinny kind not steak fries, at the desired level of crispiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment