Monday, June 25, 2012

My Mystery Novel "Soundtrack" Playlist

I am writing a mystery story currently called "More Than Meets the Eye: A Jack Donegal Novella." I hope to finish it and publish directly to Kindle soon. My hero, Jack Donegal, a quirky but lovable toy inventor, stumbles into a mystery when he purchases an antique teddy bear at auction with his marketing assistant, Andy Westin. There are dangers, comical misadventures, lots of techno gadgetry and even spy intrigue.



I was surprised by how many songs I mentioned in the context of the story. Often, when I write fiction, I have a soundtrack in my mind to go along with it, as if my story, in written form, was a movie.

But, in my current story, almost all of the playlist songs are mentioned by name in the context of the story. At times, they play an actual part in the plot! But, at other times, they are merely mentioned in passing by the story's narrator, Andy Westin. So, on Youtube, I made a "soundtrack" for my mystery story thus far. Who knows? Maybe, there will be more songs woven into my story by the time I am done.

The songs mentioned are basically all over the musical map, I mean really, very widely varied. Part of the reason for that is that my musical interests are very widely varied, and another reason is that several of them are mentioned in comical contexts. It is, after all, a comedy mystery.

Song #1) "If You're Going To San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie -- The beginning of the story is set in San Francisco, and well, yes, it is mentioned in a comical context. Trust me. :) I know it was never meant to be comical, but this song just makes me laugh anyway.

Song #2)"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles.(I used the Bono version in my playlist.) I hate the reference to LSD in this song, but, here, it is used in reference to someone with "kaleidoscope eyes."

Song #3)"Mission Impossible Theme" Jack and Andy are on a mission impossible!

Song #4)"The Major General Song" from "Pirates of Penzance." I can't give all my secrets away, but it is fitting (and funny.)I told you we were all over the musical map.

Song #5)"Bad Boys" by Bob Marley. Jack and Andy are after some bad boys! Whether the bad boys are coming after Jack and Andy or Jack and Andy are coming after them is the question.

Song #6)"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar, "One Way or Another" by Blondie. In my playlist, the two are combined in a medley by Glee.

Song #7)"What's the Matter with Kids Today?" from "Bye Bye Birdie." It is just mentioned in passing.

Song #8)"Three Little Birds" by Connie Talbot (cover of Bob Marley song.) I actually had this in a spot where my male heroes were comforting their female friend, Ellen, encouraging her not to worry, but I switched it for another song. I kept it in the Youtube playlist though.

Song #9)"Watermelon Man" by Herbie Hancock. I love this one. :)

Song #10)"Smooth Criminal" by 2Cellos (cover of Michael Jackson song.) Jack would rather be a slightly inept superhero than a smooth criminal.

Song #11)"Escher's World" by Chagall Guevara. Escher (and some other artists) have some importance in the story.

Song #12)"The Last of the Secret Agents" by Nancy Sinatra. Cute song. Funny lyrics. I like the part, "I never had to slap his face," as my gentle hero is, by no means, any kind of a James Bond womanizer.

The playlist is embedded here. You should be able to flip from one song to the next. A few seem not to work in the playlist, but you should be able to skip to the next one on the list. I may replace the few that don't play at a future time.

No comments:

Post a Comment