Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hobcaw Cafe



Today, I dropped by the Hobcaw Cafe at 20 Grove Street in Verona, New Jersey. Hobcaw Cafe is a unique little spot with a pleasant atmosphere. I sat at a small table facing the self-serve coffee area with an assortment of novelty tea pots on display. On the wall behind me, there is a mural of a lovely beach with pieces of driftwood. When I was a patron for the first time, someone explained to me that the name Hobcaw Cafe comes from Hobcaw Barony in South Carolina, a favorite spot of the owners. They do all their own baking on the premises and serve a nice selection of gourmet sandwiches. But, today, I went for brunch.



I asked for the tea menu. They have a wide selection of gourmet teas and herbal teas available. I asked my server, Kim, for her recommendation. She recommended the toasted coconut apple tea which I had iced. The menu described it as an Indonesian black tea with coconut and apple flavors. My iced tea was lovely, not too sweet and with a recognizable coconut flavor.

From the brunch menu, I selected the black and white French toast. Three thick slices of French toast were arranged on my plate, one black (chocolate,) one white, and another black. I ate my slices in that order. I told the server later that it was a nice combination, that there was one vanilla with the two chocolate, to cut the richness.

My black slice was topped with powdered sugar and mini chocolate chips that were quickly melting. As I cut into it, I was surprised to see how it squashed down into a seeming puddle of chocolate. I forgot that I had read on the menu that it was made with chocolate bread. Someone from the kitchen later informed me that there were large pieces of chocolate baked inside the bread. It must have been these melted chunks that made my bread seem like a pool of chocolate. The richness was, however, not overwhelming. Otherwise, it has a spongy bread texture with chocolate flavor.

The white slice was also enjoyable, between these two richer offerings. It was made with brioche, coated with powdered sugar and had a spongy texture. I could taste more of the egg coating and real vanilla.

If you're local to northern New Jersey, give Hobcaw Cafe a try. It's special and unique, and the service is friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment