Friday, June 22, 2012

"Big Bang" with Less Bangs

  Okay, so I am starting to watch "Big Bang Theory" a bit. I like the idea of a show all about scientific nerds. I don't think all intelligent scientists have all of the particular quirks of this group, but many of the great minds of the past, real inventors, have had their social quirks, and it's a good premise for humor. Plus, each of these guys is an individual, not one exact nerdy stereotype. Now that I am writing about a fictional scientific nerd type, I am enjoying the show (but not plagiarizing.) :)

I just watched the episode where Howard makes the pretense of being a Goth, so that he can pick up a date in a bar. I'm not a fan of the Goth look, and I don't like Howard's ordinary look which I would describe as being very colorful, somewhat incongruous and a little bit of a flashback to the '70's. What I do like about him is that he's his own man and determines his own sense of style. In spite of all this, I thought Howard looked a little more handsome as a Goth than he does usually on the show.

I spent a good deal of the show trying to determine why that was. I think it was because the height in his hair and less hair on his forehead did something complementary for his facial features. I don't like the look of heavy bangs on a woman -- and I had them myself in my childhood -- and I guess I don't like a similar look in a man either. It was very funny to me that I should like a Goth look at all, even in a roundabout sort of way.

I do appreciate the idea that the current fashion trends don't have to determine what everyone wears. In recent times, I think there is more appreciation for a variation of looks and personal expression. If I could no longer find any clothes in stores that I enjoyed wearing, I think I'd learn to sew or commission a tailor.

No comments:

Post a Comment