Tuesday, July 3, 2012

"How To Tell a Prince from a Frog" -- Interview with Artist and Author Christine Kerrick



Christine Kerrick is a wonderful and talented artist. She is a friend I know only through facebook, but I've admired her art for a while.

I've enjoyed her whimsical art like this one.



And her art centered on spiritual themes...



When I found out she had a book coming out, "How To Tell a Prince From a Frog: Law Enforcement Techniques For Knowing Who You're Dating," I knew I could get behind her with it.



I told Christine that I joke sometimes that I should write a book called "Dates From Hell and How To Avoid Them."

I know some princes. Three of them are my biological brothers. Some of them are my Christian brothers, and some have already found their princesses. I'm grateful for the good guys in my life.

But, I've also known some frogs. I seem to attract them. The froggiest of frogs and the wartiest of toads have hopped out of the bog to either date me or be my admirer. I've known a frog with a prison record, a frog who ended up in prison some time after I was no longer in contact with him, a frog with a drug abuse history, a frog with mental illness, who was also a liar and manipulator, and frogs who showed warning signs that they had the capacity to be abusive (although I was not the victim of it) either sexually or physically. My experiences were short-lived, because I did see the warning signs. I did not pick up these men (ahem, frogs) in bars. I met them in what should be the safest of all places to meet a potential mate, in church.



I apologize to any reader who may be avoiding church with the thought that the church is full of hypocrites, because the above statement would seem to confirm your fear. The father of Corrie Ten Boom, a Christian Dutch woman who hid Jews in her home during the Holocaust, once said, "Just because a mouse gets into the cookie jar doesn't make him a cookie." Just like that mouse in the cookie jar, going to church by itself doesn't necessarily make a person a Christian. Even Jesus Himself talked about hypocrites whom He likened to "whitened sepulchres" and false prophets whom He called wolves in sheep's clothing. Notice that if there are wolves in sheep's clothing among the flock, there is also a true flock.

In Matthew 10:16, Jesus says to His disciples, "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." In other words, we should be harmless but not naive. Christine's book should equip you to be "wise as a serpent."

Her book addresses how to pick up on clues of your date's character, whether good or bad, and how to recognize red flags.

Christine Kerrick was born and raised in West Chester, Pennsylvania and received a BFA in illustration from the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Christine has some other book projects in the works as well as six published comic books which, of course, she illustrated herself.

One of Christine Kerrick's comic books below:



"How To Tell a Prince From a Frog" also features several of Christine's illustrations.



"I love writing fiction and have written six comic books. I am working on a couple of novels and have finished (but not published) a children's book. I'm working on a second one," she said.

Christine told me she felt inspired to write her current book "when I met one final Frog who lied to me and manipulated me and those around me."

Christine's artwork below, "Sweet Nothings," is intended to represent a sweet-talking liar.



"I wondered how this could happen and how I could let someone so dangerous slip past me. As I started researching things, I saw that other women had encountered dangerous men like this one too," she said.

The book is aimed towards single women of any age, not necessarily towards teenagers or young women.

Christine feels that her personal experiences have given her the wisdom to write this book.

"I couldn't have written this before that final experience with deception. I have also done extensive research in the years following and talked to scores of women about their experiences, all of whom share many common threads as far as how these Frogs deceived, what they said, the repetitive nature of their sins and the fact that the women 'knew' something was off but went ahead anyway," said Christine.

I noted that the title of the book sounds humorous and asked if the book's content was humorous.

"It is humorous off and on, but focuses on teaching and encouragement," said Christine. "It is a heavy subject, so I tried to inject humor whenever I could."

Christine expressed that frogs can be found in other contexts besides dating such as in business or acquaintance type relationships.

"This isn't to say we should condemn people but be able to know the signs that they are being deceptive and be wise enough to either confront the topic with them or leave and move on. In a dating realm, it is better to move on when you experience deception. Someone who lies to you or otherwise deceives you is not someone who will make a trustworthy spouse," she stated.

Purchase Christine's new book on Amazon and learn to distinguish a prince from a frog!



No comments:

Post a Comment